COULAUX & CIE., 1838 – 1962
The Coulaux family, or Coulaux & Cie (“& Cie.” is the equivalent to “& Company” in English) purchased the royal forge and swordmaking facilities of Klingenthal, France in 1838. Prior to sale, however, they were the facility’s operators from 1801-1836. They were blademakers, fourbisseurs (cutlers) and military sword manufacturers. The production of fencing blades and weapons began in 1850, and the Coulaux operators also exported their fencing blades to fourbisseurs and fencing supply houses such as Castello Fencing Equipment Co. of the United States and Souzy de Lacam of France. Ultimately a tumultuous era of occupations, liberations and World Wars suppressed the manufacturing down to only a dozen workers in 1955, mainly producing forged sickles and civilian tools. The forge hammers of Klingenthal eventually fell silent on February 1st, 1962.